Thursday, July 15, 2010

#23 Guillemot Cove Nature Reserve

Wow.  Much more here then stated in the book. this was a great time. One discovery after another and two hills to get your blood pumping a bit.

1. the parking lot right on a main residential road.
2. The Trail Head. When I was crossing the road I noticed it was so quiet and I could hear a buzzing noise like some one weed eating their lawns edge. As I started on the trail I noticed the sound did not change, it was so consistent and not coming from a particular direction, that I could tell. I stopped and listened a little closer and realized what I was hearing was the buzzing of probably thousands of insects little wings. At first It was kind of creepy, but my mind quickly reminded myself that I have not even had a mosquito on me yet. (yet is the key word here. it is Washington) It was really very cool.
3. On the trail before the decent into the cove I noticed how thick and tall the underbrush was, over 10' for sure with consistent slender tree trunks giving way to a canopy higher above.
                                                                                    
 




4. A snake came out to welcome me.













5. This is where the Trail splits off. To the left is onto the service road to the right is the trail down to the cove. I took the road down and trail back up.

6. On the road down I seen this downed maple that was not going to give up so easy.













7. I got down into the heart of the cove and thought to my self oh boy...... it's wet. Mother Nature had decided to do some remodeling from when the last human trail intervention took place.









 8. The trail I understood I was to take, was swamped, so I walked across a side trail and up just enough to get on dryer land and found what I could barely make out as a path to the sound.
9. Ahh our beloved Hood Canal. And the very cove I was just at yesterday, portaging peoples kayaks up the hill in front of me. Kind of cool.
10. A house on the edge of the Canal all boarded up. they are considering turning this area into part of the Cascadia Marine Trail system. I did not spend much time here for I was keen to see what else this Nature Reserve had to offer.

 11. So from behind the house on the water, a trail loops up to a small peek or ridge top and then back down into the cove . In many places along the way I had to stop and make sure I was still flowing the trail.













12. O.k so I love Frogs. They are my favorite! Not only are they just strait cool and beautiful, they make great music in a chorus or even as a solo act. I have a real extra heart for them from guilt of a past childhood spent torchering the poor amphibians (boys will be boys they say, but I still feel real bad to this day.) I was walking along and this Frog jumped up on a log right on the trail in front of me and he hung out until I could get a good pic of him and then he left me....... Frigging awesome! Great Gold-ish coloring. My favorite pic so far. I'm going to have a though time topping this one in my opinion.
I love those things. I have thoughts/hopes one day I will commit to do something to make a genuine, lasting  impact for a Frog community. To get involved in such a thing will be a good thing for me and them. I love win win's.

13. Back down in the cove heading up trail on south side.















14. The trail opens up and all you can see is a pasture of head high Cat Tails and Stinging Nettles and among them, a wooden path leading the way through.




15. A Stump house made out of the many stumps all through this cove. Evidence of the old grand forest that once was here before it got cleared many years ago. Note the notches cut into the side of the stumps , were the Loggers placed the peg boards they stood on to cut the tree down.
I think I found a Geocatch. In side I found a treasure box and some note pads. I believe tradition is that you take something and you leave something. I did not take any thing but a picture. I did though sign the note book and left something of true value in the northwest. See if you can pick it out in the picture. Some one might be so glad to find it if ill prepared.











16. One more loop left behind the barn. It looks like some one has mowed down here some what recently.
17. One of the many Slugs and Snails we have.





18. Trees growing in old tree stumps and signs of a forest fire that happened in the area many years ago.

19. On the way out of the loop, I noticed, what I assume to be the trail's name sake. A huge moss covered maple.
20. The trail opens up to the cove facing the Canal.
















21. Three Snakes catching a bit of warmth, from the little bit of sun, by the barn.....are not they cozy?
 22. A deserted hose/cabin at the base of the trail back up to the parking lot.

A very good day, I would say, by the bay. I had a great time. Sorry I had to end it in rhyme.

2 comments:

  1. this trail was in the book??, wow it looks well grown over and not traveled at all. did you see anybody on the trail ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete